PGG: Strengthening measures to prevent and combat economic crime
The regional approach will ensure that countries reach a level of uniformity and fosters international cooperation which will significantly contribute to enhancing the quality of the formal requests for International Cooperation in Criminal Matters. The regional project provides a platform to strengthen the cooperation between the Eastern Partnership countries on investigation of economic crimes and serve as a network of practitioners for sharing of good practices between the participating countries.
In addition to benefiting from Council of Europe assistance the countries also learn from the good practices of the other countries, lessons learned in the process of addressing corruption, money-laundering/terrorist financing as well as lessons learned during the monitoring and evaluation rounds.
This project is funded by the European Union and the Council of Europe and implemented by the Council of Europe in their Partnership for Good Governance II (2019-2022).
The specific objectives of the project are:
- Effective measures on prevention of corruption.
- Strengthened institutional and legal capacities to combat corruption.
- Effective measures on prevention and detection of money laundering/terrorist financing.
- Enhanced (cross border) cooperation and regulatory framework on seizure, confiscation of proceeds from crime.
- Strengthened controlling mechanisms on conflict of interest and improved political funding for oversight regimes.
- Improved independence and efficiency of specialised anti-corruption bodies or structures.
- Increased efficiency of operational and human resource capacities of specialised anti-corruption bodies.
- Improved frameworks and operational tools for financial investigations and strengthened capacities of Financial Intelligence Units.
- Enhanced regulatory framework or/and operational regimes on beneficial ownership.
- Introduction of legal frameworks for registries of beneficial ownership.
- Reviewed regulatory and institutional framework for seizure, confiscation, management and disposal of proceeds from crime.
- Strengthened international (cross border) cooperation in Asset Recovery between EaP countries.